I love Fall! The weather is cooler, beautiful foliage, pumpkin recipes.... I could go on forever. Although there are many upsides to colder weather, there is also the downside that is associated with it: weight gain. Many people, me included, have a tendency to eat more and are less active due to the weather, holidays etc. It seems like the more layers of clothes that I wear, the less I think about being in a bikini! Researchers agree that many factors play a role in your metabolism. Some of these factors include genetics, gender, age and lean muscle. Most of the factors we can't control but the good news is that there are many things we can do to avoid weight gain and speed up our metabolism in the colder months. Here are 5 ways that you can use to speed up your metabolism.
1. Eat Breakfast. This will help jumpstart your metabolism. I try to eat breakfast within an hour of awakening. If I'm in a hurry, I may just drink a protein shake or eat a bar. Try to be mindful when eating and make sure that your meals are healthy to ensure you are fueling your body with clean foods that support your goals.
2. Lift weights (one of my favorites!) The more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate will be.
3. Drink coffee or tea. Studies prove that people who drank a caffeinated beverage (not sugar laden soft drinks ;) ) had a 16 percent higher metabolic rate than those who drank decaffeinated beverages. I'm not a big coffee drinker, but when I do drink coffee I usually have it black with no sugar or cream. I'm also a fan of drinking warm green tea that I sometimes sweeten with Stevia or honey.
4. Increase your protein intake. Your body burns more calories digesting protein than it does digesting carbs or fats. I usually have protein with most of my meals.
5. Get regular sleep. Irregular sleep can slow down your metabolism. Studies have shown than lack of sleep can also cause weight gain. Try to get between 7-8 hours of sleep per day.
It is possible not to gain excessive weight in colder months. Just be mindful of your food intake and activity. Remember to enjoy the weather and life. Live healthy and happy.